Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
The Passamaquoddy Reclaim Their Culture Through Digital Repatriation
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2/12/2019 at 5:33:27 PM GMT
The Passamaquoddy Reclaim Their Culture Through Digital Repatriation

By E. Tammy Kim ––

“In late September, I travelled to Indian Township, Maine, the largest of three Passamaquoddy reservations, for the tribe’s annual ceremonial-days festival. That far northeast, the state is all water-edged hills and long stretches of humanless, single-lane roads, and it was in full autumnal splendor. Outside the reservation’s tribal office, in a field that was steps away from a shimmering lake, a few hundred Passamaquoddy people gathered to celebrate in pan-Indian powwow style. Donald Soctomah, the tribe’s soft-spoken historic-preservation officer, whom I’d been in touch with by phone, welcomed me to Indian Township. I knew him as the tireless steward of all things Passamaquoddy: he’s a photographer, archivist, museum curator, writer of books, designer of curricula, birch-bark-canoe builder, and former (non-voting) tribal representative to the state legislature. When I met him in person, after hearing his surname mentioned throughout the reservation, I learned that he’s also a father of thirteen. ‘I’m doing my part to keep the tribe going,’ he said, with a rare chuckle.

…”

To continue reading, visit the full article on The New Yorker’s website.

Kim, E. Tammy. “The Passamaquoddy Reclaim Their Culture Through Digital Repatriation.” The New Yorker. (January 30, 2019). <https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-passamaquoddy-reclaim-their-culture-through-digital-repatriation>

Career Center
| Open Forums
| Online Store
| Renew
| Member Search
| Donate
| FAQ

American Folklore SocietySister Society: SIEF
Classroom-Office Building, Indiana University, 800 East Third Street, Bloomington IN 47405 USA
812/856-2379; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal