Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
Rohingya Refugees Create Music To Memorialize Culture For Future Generation
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

1/28/2019 at 2:59:35 PM GMT
Rohingya Refugees Create Music To Memorialize Culture For Future Generation

Sasha Ingber Interview with Mohammed Taker ––

More than 700,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled violence at the hands of security forces in Myanmar - that's in the last year alone. Today, nearly a million of them live in refugee camps in Bangladesh, where, as NPR's Sasha Ingber reports, they're using traditional music to document atrocities and hold on to who they are.

SASHA INGBER, BYLINE: Inside a dim mud house a 40-minute bus ride from Thangkali refugee camp, Mohammed Taker takes his instruments off a shelf. The 35-year-old keeps his mandolin and harmonium stashed here, coming in the morning and going back to the refugee camp in the evening.

MOHAMMED TAKER: (Through interpreter) If the government finds out that I'm singing songs, they will find me.

INGBER: He's worried that if he plays music in the camp, informants from Myanmar - formerly known as Burma - will send word to the government.

TAKER: (Through interpreter) We have people in our community who are friends with the Burmese government, and maybe they will sell them information. It's possible to find me because I'm one of only a few musicians. (Playing mandolin).

…”

To continue reading, visit the full interview on NPR’s website.

Ingber, Sasha. “Rohingya Refugees Create Music To Memorialize Culture For Future Generations.” NPR. (January 26, 2019). <https://www.npr.org/2019/01/26/688976787/rohingya-refugees-create-music-to-memorialize-culture-for-future-generations>

Career Center
| Open Forums
| Online Store
| Renew
| Member Search
| Donate
| FAQ

American Folklore SocietySister Society: SIEF
Classroom-Office Building, Indiana University, 800 East Third Street, Bloomington IN 47405 USA
812/856-2379; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal