Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
Culinary Tourism Panel for AFS 2018
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/28/2018 at 9:26:07 PM GMT
Culinary Tourism Panel for AFS 2018

By Lucy Long (Center for Food and Culture) — 

If anyone is interested in participating in a panel on culinary tourism, please contact me at Lucymlong@gmail.com. Below is the tentative panel description. I'm looking for 2 more presenters, although if there is a lot of interest, we can move to a short paper session.

Apologies for the late notice, but I've been in Ireland conducting culinary tourism research (among other things).

Lucy Long

Illusion and Inclusion in Culinary Tourism

Paper session—chair, Lucy Long (Lucymlong@gmail.com)

Culinary tourism as an industry frequently participates in and perpetuates historically inequitable power structures, manipulating illusions of difference and exoticness and excluding groups and cuisines that do not fit those illusions. Culinary tourism as a humanities based, folklore project aims to make visible those illusions and to use food to explore the cultural processes involved in creating and emphasizing otherness. Sustainable tourism has a similar vision and is now impacting the industry.

This panel explores the issues and opportunities that culinary tourism poses in the service of cultural sustainability.

Last edited Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Career Center
| Open Forums
| Online Store
| Renew
| Member Search
| Donate
| FAQ

American Folklore SocietySister Society: SIEF
Classroom-Office Building, Indiana University, 800 East Third Street, Bloomington IN 47405 USA
812/856-2379; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal