AFS Women’s Section Invites Applications for 2014 Polly Stewart Student Travel Stipend
Tuesday, June 03, 2014
The AFS Women’s Section invites applications for a travel stipend of $500 for a student attending the 2014 AFS meeting in Santa Fe, NM. The section hopes to facilitate participation in the annual meeting by an emerging scholar who shows promise of furthering the study of women’s folklore, gender issues in folklore, and/or feminist approaches to the study of folklore. The award will support travel costs (transportation, meeting registration, lodging and/or per diem expenses) for a student or recent graduate who is a member of the AFS Women’s Section and who plans to attend the annual meeting and present her/his work.
The deadline for submission via email is midnight, June 15, 2014. The recipient will be announced in early- to mid-July.
To be considered for the stipend, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled as a student at the time of application. (Those who will have earned their degrees before the AFS meeting at which they present are eligible.)
- Be a member of the AFS Women’s Section at the time of application and for at least one year following the award.
- Demonstrate commitment to the study of women’s folklore, gender issues in folklore, or feminist approaches to the study of folklore as part of your research agenda.
- Plan to attend the annual AFS meeting for at least two full days, including the business meeting of the AFS Women’s Section during the year you win the award (where you will be acknowledged and asked to briefly describe your participation).
- Be willing to submit a brief written report of your participation in the AFS meeting to the co-conveners of the Women’s Section within 60 days of the conclusion of the meetings in the year that you receive the award. Your statement will be circulated to the section membership along with the minutes of the annual business meeting.
- Not have received the award previously.
- Be willing to serve on the selection committee the year following your receipt of the award.
Submit a single Word or pdf document that includes:
- Student’s name, address, email, phone number, university, degree objective, and expected month and year of completion.
- 100-word abstract for paper, diamond session, or media presentation proposed for AFS (and title of session if proposed as part of an organized session).
- Brief statement (250 words) describing:
- Your research focus,
- Your professional goals,
- How you hope to contribute to the discipline of Folklore; to the study of women’s folklore, gender issues in folklore, or feminist approaches to folklore specifically; and/or to AFS,
- How you expect to benefit from attending the meeting and what contribution your presence at the meeting will make to the field or the society.
- Budget Estimate: Please estimate the travel expenses you expect to incur (Include airfare or other transportation costs, lodging and meal expenses, and meeting registration fees). It is understood that the $500 stipend may not cover all expenses.
- Sources and amounts of any other funding that you will apply for and decision dates if not already awarded.
Please submit this document as an email attachment to 2014 selection committee chair Patricia Sawin (email@example.com) before midnight, June 15.
Also forward to the same address a copy of your message from AFS indicating that your proposal has been accepted for the 2014 meeting.
Applications are reviewed by the stipend selection committee, which is composed of representatives from the Women’s Section, including recent recipients of the travel stipend, on the basis of:
- The quality and significance of the applicant’s work, as based on the abstract and statement of research and goals.
- The extent to which the applicant’s attendance at the AFS meetings will benefit both the applicant and the field, especially with regard to women’s folklore, gender issues in folklore, or the feminist study of folklore.
- The feasibility of the budget and the applicant’s demonstrated need of the stipend in order to attend the meeting.
Address any questions about the Women’s Section’s Polly Stewart Student Travel Stipend to the 2014 selection committee chair, Patricia Sawin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.