AFS Independent Folklorists' Section Invites Applications for 2014 Annual Meeting Travel Stipend
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
The AFS Independent Folklorists’ Section announces the availability of a travel stipend of $1000 to attend the 2014 AFS meeting in Santa Fe, NM. The award will support travel costs (transportation, meeting registration, lodging and/or per diem expenses) for a member of the AFS Independent Folklorists' Section involved in public folklore to attend the annual meeting and to present her/his work. Support for the award is provided by the Public Programs Section and the Independent Folklorists’ Section.
The stipend will be awarded to a member of the Independent Folklorists’ Section who plans to submit a proposal to the upcoming annual AFS meeting program committee, and who demonstrates an interest in, and contribution to, the field of public folklore.
The deadline for submission is via email by midnight, March 1, 2014. The deadline has been set prior to the AFS presentation proposal deadline (March 31) so that the awardee will know that she/he has travel funds before submitting his/her proposal to AFS.
The award is contingent on the applicant's proposal being accepted for participation in the AFS meeting. The recipient will be announced to the Public Programs and Independents Section members after AFS proposal reviews are complete, usually by June 1st.
To qualify for the award, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a member of the AFS Independent Folklorists’ Section, but not necessarily an AFS member.
- Live at least 100 miles from the meeting location.
- Be a member who earns a significant portion of her/his income from independent consulting work.
- Plan to attend the annual AFS meeting for at least two full days as well as the business meetings of the Public Programs and the Independent Folklorists’ Sections (where they will be acknowledged and may be asked to briefly describe their participation).
- Be willing to submit a brief written report of his or her participation in the AFS meeting to the Public Programs and Independent Folklorists' sections not more than 30 days after the conclusion of AFS.
- Not have received the award in the past two years.
- Be willing to serve on the selection committee the year following their award and then chair the committee the next year.
How To Apply:
Please submit the following materials in an email attachment by midnight, March 1, 2014, to this year’s Selection Committee Chair, Gwen Meister, at email@example.com.
- A letter of application (not to exceed three pages) with a narrative describing:
- How you will participate in the American Folklore Society annual meeting (paper session, diamond session, forum, workshop, or other event);
- Your work as an independent folklorist and your experience and interest in public folklore;
- The approximate proportion of your income that is derived from independent consulting work;
- The impact receiving the Independent Folklorists’ Travel Stipend will have on your ability to attend AFS 2014;
- How you hope to benefit from attending the meeting and what contribution your presence at the meeting will make to the field;
- Budget Estimate: Please estimate the travel expenses you expect to incur (Include airfare or other transportation costs, lodging and meal expenses, and meeting registration fees). It is understood that the $1000 stipend may not cover all expenses.
- A current resume.
Applications are reviewed by the stipend selection committee, which is composed of a representative from the Public Programs Section and recent recipients of the travel award from the Independent Folklorists' Section, according to the following criteria:
- The quality and significance of the applicant’s work, as based on the narrative, abstract proposal and résumé.
- The extent to which the applicant’s attendance at the AFS meetings will benefit both the applicant and the field, especially in the area of public folklore.
- The feasibility of the budget and the applicant’s demonstrated need of the stipend in order to attend the meeting.
The award recipient will be notified by mid March of the committee’s decision. If you have questions about the Independent Folklorists' Travel Stipend, contact the 2014 Selection Committee Chair, Gwen Meister, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Independent Folklorists' Section gratefully acknowledges support from the AFS Public Programs Section to facilitate participation in the annual meeting by an independent folklorist.