Executive Board Actions from the April 7-8, 2017, Meeting
Thursday, April 13, 2017
Posted by: Tim Lloyd
At its April 7-8, 2017, meeting in Bloomington, Indiana, the AFS Executive Board took the following actions:
1. Approved the minutes of the October 19, 2016, Executive Board meeting in Miami, Florida
2. Selected the 2017 recipients of the Kenneth Goldstein Award for Lifetime Academic Leadership and the AFS Lifetime Scholarly Achievement Award
3. Approved a series of 2017 appointments to AFS standing and ad hoc committees
4. Approved the reports of several AFS committees
5. Approved annual meeting policy statements on appropriate professional behavior and social media use
6. Approved a budget proposal for fiscal year 2018 (September 1, 2017-August 31, 2018)
The Board heard presentations on AFS's archival and China-US projects from Executive Director Tim Lloyd; on the 2017, 2018, and 2019 annual meetings from Associate Director Lorraine Walsh Cashman; and on membership development from Membership Director Meredith McGriff.
They also discussed present and future AFS work toward the highest priorities indicated in last year's member survey: recruitment of young people into the field, advocacy outside the field concerning the importance and contributions of folklore studies, and diversifying the Society’s membership.