Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
AFS Review: News

Final Information for the 2016 AFS/ISFNR Meeting

Thursday, October 13, 2016   (0 Comments)
Posted by: Tim Lloyd
Share |

AFS/ISFNR Meeting App

This year, we’re introducing a conference app that will allow you to access all meeting information, including the full schedule and abstracts, on a smartphone or tablet. The conference app includes all the information of the printed program book, with program updates through October 12, and allows you to build your own schedule and to send messages to or chat with meeting participants. If you prefer print technology, don’t worry; you can still pick up the printed program book when you check in at registration.For information on the app's features, go to www.afsnet.org/2016AppGuide.

You can choose one of two ways to get the app. You will need an iPhone, iPad, or Android device; the app does not work on Kindles, laptops, or desktop computers. 

1. Go to the App Store on your iPhone/iPad, or the Play Store on your Android device, and search for “AFS/ISFNR.”
2. Go to http://bit.ly/AFS-ISFNR on your device
. This address is case-sensitive.


Program Changes

Inevitably, changes to the program arise after we have sent our program book to be printed. We will distribute changes that we receive before October 12 as a printed addendum available at the meeting registration desk. You can also track these and later changes on the online addendum linked to the meeting webpage; the direct link is http://www.afsnet.org/page/AM16Addendum.

When a paper is withdrawn, all subsequent presentations move up to fill the gap.


Meeting Guides

See Notes in the AFS Review for guides to panels and events that have been prepared by a number of AFS Sections.

Weather

During the Monday, October 17-Sunday, October 23 week, the Miami weather forecast calls for high temperatures of around 83 F (28 C) and low temperatures of around 76 F (24 C). The humidity will be in the upper 60%-low 70% range. The chance of rain is between 10% and 20% all week.


Transportation Between the Miami International Airport and the Hyatt Regency Miami

There are four ways to get from the Miami airport (airport code MIA) to the hotel and back. As always, the quicker the trip, the greater the cost. For more information, visit http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/plan-your-trip/getting-around/miami-international-airport.

On the day of your departure from Miami, you should be at the airport no later than 90 minutes before a domestic departure and no later than two hours before an international departure. You may want to add time to these minimums. Please plan your return transportation accordingly.

Taxi: The estimated one-way taxi fare from the airport to the Hyatt is $30-$35 US. In the US, a 10% gratuity (tip) to the driver is customary. Taxis are available outside the baggage claim area at the airport. The hotel’s address is 400 SE 2nd Street.

Lyft and Uber: If you use the ride-sharing services Lyft or Uber, a ride from the airport to the Hyatt should be about $25. Their US web sites say that there is no need to tip, but that riders are free to offer tips and drivers are welcome to accept them.

Super Shuttle: This company operates bright blue vans between the airport and various hotels throughout Miami. You will travel with other visitors and will be likely to make other stops before reaching the Hyatt Regency Miami. The trip is $18.82 US each way, including taxes but not a gratuity for the driver. In the US, a 10% gratuity (tip) to the driver is customary. Super Shuttle vans are available outside the baggage claim area at the airport. For your return to the airport, we recommend that you make an advance reservation (at www.supershuttle.com) so that you’ll be certain to get to the airport on time to check in for your flight and to go through security. For more information, visit http://www.miamiandbeaches.com/transportation/supershuttle/110284.

Miami Metrorail and Metromover: You can take the Orange Line on Miami’s light rail system Metrorail from the Airport station to the Government Center station, where you will transfer to the Omni Loop line (not the Brickell Loop line) of the downtown Miami Metromover and take it six stops to the Knight Center station across the street from the Hyatt Regency Miami. The Metrorail fare is $2.25 US each way, and the Metromover is free. To ride Metrorail you must buy a Metrorail EASY card from a machine at a Metrorail station, and swipe it as you enter and leave the system. For more information, visit http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metrorail.asp and http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover.asp. If you will be leaving Miami on Sunday, remember that Metrorail trains operate less frequently on Sundays than on weekdays.


Transportation Between the Fort Lauderdale Airport and the Hyatt Regency Miami

Some meeting participants are flying into and out of Fort Lauderdale airport (airport code FLL), located about 35 miles north of the Hyatt Regency Miami hotel. For information about transportation from and to that airport, visit https://miami.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel/transportation.html. For your return to the Fort Lauderdale airport, we encourage you to make an advance reservation so that you’ll be certain to get to the airport in time to check in for your flight and go through security.

On the day of your departure from Fort Lauderdale, you should be at the airport no later than 90 minutes before a domestic departure and no later than two hours before an international departure. You may want to add time to these minimums. Please plan your return transportation accordingly.


Local Information

We encourage you to visit the local information page on the AFS web site (http://www.afsnet.org/page/AM16LocalInfo) before you come to Miami. It contains links to sources for local information, including the local meeting committee’s very informative Guide to Miami, which you can download from that web page.


Meeting Registration

The AFS/ISFNR meeting registration desk will be located in the lower Promenade lobby on the terrace level of the Hyatt Regency Miami. Registration hours are 11:00 am–6:00 pm on Wednesday, 7:30 am–3:30 pm on Thursday and Friday, and 7:30 am– 12:00 noon on Saturday. Meeting sessions begin at 12:00 noon on Wednesday.


Social Media

Follow AFS on Twitter @afsfolklorists, and track posts about the meeting with the hashtag #afsam16. AFS is on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AmericanFolkloreSociety.



Career Center
| Open Forums
| Online Store
| Renew
| Member Search
| Donate
| FAQ


American Folklore SocietySister Society: SIEF
Classroom-Office Building, Indiana University, 800 East Third Street, Bloomington IN 47405 USA
812/856-2379; fax: 812/856-2483; www.afsnet.org


Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal