Reminder: Deadline Coming Soon for Nominations for Botkin Prize
Monday, August 08, 2016
Posted by: Lorraine Cashman
September 1, 2016 is the deadline for nominations for the annual Benjamin
A. Botkin Prize to an individual for significant lifetime achievement
in public folklore, awarded by the Public Programs Section of the American Folklore
Society in partnership with the AFS Executive Board.
The review criteria are:
- Engagement of a broad public audience in the materials of folklore
- Impact on the field of public folklore: development of models, methodology, visibility, advocacy
- Impact on communities/constituents and their traditional culture
- Contributions to the body of materials of folklore/public folklore
- Quality of artistry in presentation: writing, photography, stagecraft, etc.
- Quality of scholarship
- Impact on the discipline of folklore, its theories and methodology
- Quality/adequacy of nomination package itself
- Breadth of support, as evidenced by letters from community members and non-folklorists in addition to folklore colleagues
Please direct nominations, as well as your questions, to Botkin Prize Committee Chair Roby Cogswell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations should include a letter of nomination; a one- or
two-page biography or resume of the nominee; three to five letters of
support from a broad range of people, including community members who
have benefited from the nominee's work and people from outside the
folklore field in addition to colleagues. Letters should specifically
address the review criteria listed above and should explain how the
nominee has taken folklore to a broad public audience.
All nomination letters and support material must be submitted in
electronic format so they can be distributed easily and quickly to the
committee members. Nominations remain active for three years. Previous
nominators should contact Cogswell to ensure that their nominations are
still in the pool, to arrange to send electronic versions of materials
previously sent in hard copy, and to inquire about adding new or updated
materials to those nominations.
For more information about this prize, see About AFS/FS Prizes: http://www.afsnet.org/?page=Botkin