AFS/ACLS Humanities E-Book Project: A Call to Action
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Posted by: Shannon K. Larson
AFS Executive Director Tim Lloyd and AFS Delegate to the American Council of Learned Societies Lee Haring sent the following message to members on March 11, 2016:
Dear AFS Member,
Earlier this week we emailed you an announcement of a new partnership between AFS and the American Council of Learned Societies that will lead to the open-access online publication of notable out-of-print books in folklore studies.
We're writing today to tell you the five fundamental things you need to know about this project:
1. This project requires action from you, if you are an author of a notable book of folklore scholarship that has gone out of print, or are the heir or estate administrator of such an author.
2. If you presently hold the electronic rights to that book, or can negotiate those rights back from the publisher before May 1, then you can nominate that book to be digitized and made openly available to the world through this project.
3. You nominate that book by completing a simple one-page PDF that is available online at http://www.humanitiesebook.org/news-blog/hob.html and emailing that PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 1 of this year. Completing the PDF should take no more than two minutes.
4. Nominations of books must come from the books' authors, or from those authors' heirs or estates. If you have colleagues who are authors of notable books of folklore scholarship that have gone out of print (or who are the heirs or estate administrators of such authors), then you should encourage them to regain the electronic rights to those books from their publishers before May 1, if they do not already have those rights, and to nominate those books themselves.
5. If no folklore scholars recommend their books, none will be made available through this project, and our field will not benefit from this partnership.
Please consider this email a call to timely action. If you have questions about electronic rights or any other aspect of this project, please contact Tim Lloyd at email@example.com.
Thank you for your support of our Society and field.
Lee Haring, AFS Delegate to the American Council of Learned Societies
Tim Lloyd, AFS Executive Director