Applications Invited for 2016 Travel Stipend for Women Independent Folklorists
Friday, January 22, 2016
Posted by: Shannon K. Larson
The Independent Folklorists’ Section and the Women’s Section of the American Folklore Society announce the availability of a travel stipend of $750 to attend the 2016 AFS meeting in Miami, FL. The award will support travel costs (transportation, meeting registration, lodging and/or per diem expenses) for a member of the AFS Independent Folklorists' Section and the Women’s Section to attend the annual meeting and to present her work. Support for the award is provided by the Women’s Section and the Independent Folklorists’ Section.
The stipend will be awarded to a female member of the Independent Folklorists’ Section and the Women’s Section who is working on women’s issues and who plans to submit a proposal to the upcoming annual AFS meeting program committee.
The deadline for submission is via e-mail by midnight, March 4, 2016. The deadline has been set prior to the AFS presentation proposal deadline (March 31) so that the awardee will know that she has travel funds before submitting her proposal to AFS.
The award is contingent on the applicant's proposal being accepted for participation in the AFS meeting. The recipient will be announced to the Women’s and Independents’ Section members after AFS proposal reviews are complete, usually by June 1st.
Applicant criteria for the award:
- Membership in the AFS Independent Folklorists’ Section and the Women’s Section, but not necessarily an AFS member.
- Live at least 100 miles from the meeting location.
- Be a member who earns a significant portion of her income from independent consulting work or as an independent scholar.
- Plan to attend the annual AFS meeting for at least two full days as well as the business meetings of the Women’s and the Independent Folklorists’ Sections (where she will be acknowledged and may be asked to briefly describe their participation).
- Be willing to submit a brief written report of her participation in the AFS meeting to the Women’s and Independent Folklorists' sections within 30 days after the conclusion of AFS.
- Not have received either of the two Independent Travel Awards in the past two years.
- Be willing to serve on the selection committee the year following her award.
- If you are eligible, you may apply for both this award and the Independent Folklorists’ Travel Award, but you can receive only one award.
How To Apply:
Please submit the following materials in an email attachment by midnight, March 4, 2016, to this year’s Selection Committee Chair, Joan Saverino, at email@example.com.
- A letter of application (not to exceed three pages) with a narrative describing:
- How you will participate in the annual American Folklore Society meeting (paper session, poster session, panel, forum, workshop, or other event);
- Your work as an independent folklorist and your experience and interest in women’s folklore;
- The approximate proportion of your income that is derived from independent consulting or academic work;
- The impact receiving the Independent Folklorists’ Travel Stipend will have on your ability to attend AFS 2016;
- How you hope to benefit from attending the meeting and what contribution your presence at the meeting will make to the field;
- Budget Estimate: Please estimate the travel expenses you expect to incur (Include airfare or other transportation costs, lodging and meal expenses, and meeting registration fees). It is understood that the $750 stipend may not cover all expenses.
- A current resume.
Applications are reviewed by the stipend selection committee, which is composed of a representative from the Women’s Section, the Public Programs Section, and recent recipients of the award, according to the following criteria:
- The quality and significance of the applicant’s work, as based on the narrative, abstract proposal and résumé.
- The extent to which the applicant’s attendance at the AFS meetings will benefit both the applicant and the field, especially in the area of women’s folklore.
- The feasibility of the budget and the applicant’s demonstrated need of the stipend in order to attend the meeting.
The award recipient will be notified by mid-March of the committee’s decision. If you have questions about the Independent Folklorists' Travel Stipend contact 2016 Selection Committee Chair, Joan Saverino, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Independent Folklorists' Section gratefully acknowledges support from the AFS Women’s Section to facilitate participation in the annual meeting by an independent folklorist.