The National Italian American Foundation Invites Applications for Voyage of Discovery Program
Thursday, December 10, 2015
Posted by: Shannon K. Larson
The Ambassador Peter F. Secchia Voyage of Discovery Program is sponsored by the National Italian American Foundation. This all-expenses paid trip for Italian American students covers round-trip airfare between Italy and America and two weeks of programs.
To strengthen the Italian American identity by bonding young Italian-Americans to the country, culture, and heritage of Italy; to help them gain an understanding of their heritage and a pride in preserving that heritage for the next generation; and to understand the historical significance of Italy and the current contribution Italy is making to the US and the world. The trip also offers students the opportunity to perform community service in areas of need during their stay in Italy.
The 2016 trip itinerary will include educational lectures, service opportunities, meetings with government officials, business leaders and visits to government offices, international businesses, museums and other cultural attractions.
Trip Date: June 9 – 23, 2016
Trip Destination: NIAF’s 2016 Region of Honor
- Students must be members of the National Italian American Foundation. Not a member? Go to http://www.niaf.org/memberships/join-the-niaf/ for more information.
- Participants must be between the ages of 18-23 at the time of travel (Summer 2016)
- Students must be enrolled in a college/university for the semester preceding the trip (Spring 2016)
- Students must be of Italian heritage
- Students must not have previously visited Italy
- Eligible students will be asked to participate in a Skype interview
Deadline to Apply: January 31, 2016, 11:59 pm EST
Date of Notification for all applicants: Monday, February 29, 2016
Participant Acceptance Deadline: Friday, March 11, 2016
The trip includes:
- Round-trip airfare between US and Italy
- Hotel accommodation (hotel accommodations are 2/3 same-gender participants to a room)
- All meals except where noted on the itinerary
- Motorcoach transfers
- Escorts and tour guides
The trip does not include:
- Domestic flights to/from international departure city
- Items of a personal nature and spending money
- Meals not included in itinerary
- Purchase of International Student Identity Cards
Other important information:
- Processing fee and deposit policy
- Students Selected to Participate: Proof of student status and a $150 non-refundable processing fee and current credit card will be requested of only those students accepted into the program. Any non-refundable costs incurred by NIAF before or during the program will be charged to the student’s credit card. Additionally, any costs incurred due to violation of the "Code of Conduct” resulting in early termination of the student’s participation in the Voyage of Discovery program will be charged to the participant’s credit card.
- Before travel, students will be required to purchase a student travel insurance policy for 9-15 days coverage for the duration of the Voyage of Discovery program. The standard program-international travel policy includes medical expense coverage for a covered sickness or injury occurring while traveling plus coverage for terrorist incidents and financial defaults.
IMPORTANT: NIAF will only accept online applications (no exceptions).
If you have questions, please contact:
Assistant Director of Programs
The National Italian American Foundation (NIAF)
1860 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009