The Association for Recorded Sound Collections Invites Applications for Conference Travel Grants
Friday, November 06, 2015
Posted by: Shannon K. Larson
The Association for Recorded Sound Collections is now accepting applications for ARSC Conference Travel Grants to be awarded in 2016. The application deadline is December 18, 2015.
The grants are designed to:
- Encourage ARSC members to attend their first ARSC conference
- Reach out to college students and professionals in the early stages of their careers
- Promote mentoring and professional development opportunities
- Advance scholarly research and publication, and
- Support ARSC members who desire to participate more actively in the association.
Grant recipients are awarded:
- Complimentary registration for the entire ARSC Annual Conference
- Gratis registration for the Pre-Conference Workshop, and
- Reimbursement of up to USD$750 to defray the expenses of transportation and lodging (upon approval of valid receipts, to be submitted after the conference). Rental car costs for transportation within the conference city are not reimbursable.
At the time of application, the applicant must be a member of ARSC in good standing, planning to attend his or her first ARSC conference. The applicant must also be one of the following:
- A college or university student aspiring to work with sound recordings
- A recent graduate seeking a professional position involving sound recordings
- A professional within the first five years of his or her career, who has demonstrated a dedication to sound recordings
- A researcher or discographer showing compelling prospects for the publication or dissemination of his or her scholarly work.
Applicants who demonstrate an interest in serving on an ARSC committee, publishing their work in the ARSC Journal, or presenting at an ARSC conference will be given particular consideration. Preference will be given to applicants who plan to attend the entire conference, beginning with the pre-conference workshop.
Each applicant must submit:
- A letter of application describing the applicant's background and current activities, clearly indicating why the applicant merits consideration for an ARSC Conference Travel Grant
- A proposed budget for travel costs
- Itemization of any non-ARSC funds that the applicant may receive toward ARSC conference attendance, such as institutional support, etc.
- A brief resume or curriculum vitae, and
- Two letters of support, each submitted directly by the writer.
Applications lacking any of the above items will be deemed incomplete, and may not be viewed favorably by the Travel Grants Committee.
All applications and supporting materials must be received by December 18, 2015. Send them by e-mail or postal mail to:
Louise Spear, ARSC Conference Travel Grants Committee
AMDA College and Conservatory of the Performing Arts
6305 Yucca Street
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Applicants will be notified about the award decisions by January 18, 2016.
The Association for Recorded Sound Collections is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation and study of sound recordings -- in all genres of music and speech, in all formats, and from all periods. ARSC is unique in bringing together private individuals and institutional professionals -- everyone with a serious interest in recorded sound.