Media sessions feature the presentation of one or more audio or video works. Videos may be completed or works-in-progress, and one or several works may be shown and discussed within the two hours of the session. Please allow time for discussion in your proposed session.
You may submit an individual media presentation, or a pre-organized media session. AFS will combine individual media presentations with other media presentations if they can fit in a two-hour session with time for discussion.
Both individual media presentations and pre-organized media sessions (a pre-organized session that includes two or more works) are submitted using the same proposal form. Those who are proposing only one film should simply skip the boxes concerning multiple presentations.
Click here to see a pdf of the 2017 proposal form. This is NOT a functioning form, but it offers a preview of the form you will complete.
Materials required for the online registration and proposal process:
- Optional: keywords approved by the AFS Ethnographic Thesaurus that describe the content of the presentation or panel as a whole. See Using Keywords in Annual Meeting Proposals before you register and submit your proposal.
- a long (500-word) abstract that will be sent out for blind review (for an individual proposal, or for the pre-organized session as a whole). In the case of works-in-progress, describe the approach and content of the finished work in your long abstract.
- a short (100-word) abstract for the proposed work (at minimum, for the session as a whole; if multiple works will be shown, you must also provide a 100-word abstract for each work). The short abstract(s) will appear in the annual meeting program book if the proposal is accepted. Use AFS style.
- the length of each video presentation
- the name, affiliation and email address of each presenter
- Visa or Mastercard for the online payment of the proposer's registration (if you are submitting a proposal that includes multiple presenters, you are not responsible for the other participants' meeting registration).
- If the work or a sample of the work is available online, provide the url in the "Notes" field.
- If not, mail a copy or sample of the work on DVD (NTSC format) to: Media Sessions, AFS Annual Meeting, Classroom-Office Building, Indiana University, 1800 East Third Street, Bloomington, IN, 47405 USA, postmarked by March 31. Samples will not be returned.
- You must submit your proposal no later than March 31.
- AFS provides a projector and screen in all meeting rooms. If you require speakers, you must request them on the proposal form. AFS does not provide other equipment, such as laptops or DVD players.
- Members: You must sign in to register and submit your proposal. Please make sure in advance that you can successfully sign in. If not, allow time to contact AFS.
- Non-members: You may enjoy a significant discount on your Annual Meeting registration, as well as other member benefits, if you join AFS. However, the site will not recognize your membership until it has been manually approved by AFS staff; you will receive an email notification when your membership is activated. Please allow for a few business days in between joining AFS and submitting your registration/proposal. Join AFS by March 27 if you want to receive the member rate.
It is cheaper to pay both member dues and meeting registration than it is to register as a non-member. Save money — take the time to join AFS before you submit your proposal!