Forums are informal discussions organized around a specific topic in one two-hour session. Forums may include no more than eight
participants (a maximum of six is preferred), and should be designed for
extensive interaction among the panel and audience. Forums may include brief (5 minute) prepared
presentations, but should not include papers or other formal presentations; therefore, forum proposals do not include presentation titles or
abstracts from the individual participants.
|Participants in Forums
Chairs of Forums
- Register for the meeting by March 31.
- Collect and submit all required material (below) by March 31.
panel participants to register. Chairs register themselves when
submitting the proposal; they should not register the
Determine whether audio speakers are required; you must request them on the
Click here to see a pdf of the 2016 proposal form. This is NOT a functioning form, but it offers a preview of the form you will complete. The 2017 form may have a different appearance, but the substance will be much the same.
Materials required for the online registration and proposal process:
keywords approved by the AFS Ethnographic Thesaurus
that describe the content of the panel as a whole. See Using
Keywords in Annual Meeting Proposals before you register and submit your
- a long (500-word) abstract for the session as a whole that will be sent out for blind review
- a short (100-word) abstract which will appear in the annual meeting program book if the proposal is accepted. Use AFS style.
- Each participant's name, affiliation and email address as they should appear in the program book
- Visa or Mastercard for the chair's meeting registration
- You must submit your proposal no later than March 31.
- AFS provides a projector and screen in all meeting rooms. If you require speakers, you must request them on the proposal form. AFS does not provide other equipment, such as laptops or DVD players.
- Members: You must sign in to register and submit your proposal. Please make sure in advance that you can successfully sign in. If not, allow time to contact AFS.
- Non-members: You may enjoy a significant discount on your Annual Meeting registration, as well as other member benefits, if you join AFS. However, the site will not recognize your membership until it has been manually approved by AFS staff; you will receive an email notification when your membership is activated. Please allow for a few business days in between joining AFS and submitting your registration/proposal. Join AFS by March 27 if you want to receive the member rate.