Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
AFS Forum: Dialoguing
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

10/13/2011 at 9:32:42 PM GMT
AFS Forum: Dialoguing

Hey all, today I went to the wonderful AFS 2011 Annual Meeting Forum: Dialoguing About the Introductory Folklore Classroom.

First off, want to say a HUGE thank you to Forum organizers and presenters: Ann Ferrell, Martha Simms, Rosemary Hathaway, Andrea Kitta and Elizabeth MacDaniel. This was an intensely informative, amusing, insightful and frank discussion, and as a graduate student just delving into teaching I am--thanks to this panel--full to bursting with ideas, hopes and plans, with the grounded concept that sometimes things won't always work out just the way I want.

Since there was some discussion of actually utilizing this forum space to connect with teaching ideas and such, I just thought I would start it off by saying: hi! And thanks again for the awesome forum at the AFS Conference!

Cheers,

Lynda Daneliuk (Memorial University of Newfoundland)

10/23/2011 at 3:05:09 PM GMT

Lynda,

Thanks so much for posting. We are so glad you found it helpful. I really enjoyed it as well and hope we can utilize this forum to continue the dialogue.  In that spirit, I am attaching the instructions I give my Intro students for their final project. It does not inclue all the steps I described in the forum, but it does include the project proposal instructions--which I think are key.

Looking forward to continued dialogue.

Attached Files: 

10/24/2011 at 2:16:32 PM GMT
I'm also attaching the blogging project I outlined!

Andrea

Attached Files: 
Blogs.docx (25.1 KB)

10/24/2011 at 5:38:24 PM GMT
Thanks so much, Lynda--we all enjoyed it (and learned a lot from each other), too.  I'm attaching the "participation quiz" assignment I described, and will also try to start a couple of threads for posting syllabi and fieldwork-project assignments, since I'd love to see other examples of those things.

Attached Files: 

10/24/2011 at 5:41:27 PM GMT
Intro to Folklore course syllabi
I'm posting the most recent syllabus from the "American Folklore and Culture" class I teach here at West Virginia University.  I teach it essentially as an intro course, since it's the only 200-level/gen ed course in folklore offered. 

I would *love* to see other syllabi, if people are willing to post theirs!  I'm always interested in seeing how other people structure this course, and what readings they use, etc.

Attached Files: 

10/24/2011 at 5:46:38 PM GMT
Fieldwork-project assignments
And here's the fieldwork project assignment I've used most recently (in the spring, students wrote three shorter papers instead of doing one long project--I'd be happy to post those assignments, too, if anyone's interested). 

Would VERY much like to see other people's FW assignments, since this is more or less the same one I've been using for 15 years (!).

Attached Files: 

11/14/2011 at 3:50:17 AM GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDprrc_SJWY

Hi all,

During our forum I mentioned that this semester I am trying a new step in the project process- a group mini-fieldwork project around Homecoming traditions. I wanted to report back quickly that this went pretty well. There was some interesting collection.  Most importantly though, in terms of my goals, the students got their feet wet in fieldwork. They wrote response papers and most of them had interesting thoughts about the small amount of fieldwork they did, and I am hopeful that this will benefit them as they work on their final projects.  I am attaching the mini-fieldwork assignment, and I am pasting a link to a very short video that one of the groups did. I am pretty impressed with it (and I can take no credit for the video work)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDprrc_SJWY

I hope everyone is having a good semester. Ann

Attached Files: 

Home
|Career Center
|Open Forums
|Online Store
|Renew
|Member Search
|Donate
|FAQ

American Folklore Society
Mershon Center, The Ohio State University, 1501 Neil Avenue, Columbus OH 43201-2602 USA
614/292-4715; fax: 614/292-2199; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal/Privacy