Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
Folklore Elevator Speeches
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/27/2010 at 6:35:33 PM GMT
Folklore Elevator Speeches

The elevator door opens to reveal the new dean of your college, or the board president of your state arts or humanities council.  As you step inside, she says, "You're the folklorist, right?  What is folklore, anyway, and what do folklorists do?"  You have one minute--until the elevator has descended to the first floor--to give her an answer that, though brief, is effective in describing our field, and the materials and processes we study.  What's your folklore elevator speech?

10/5/2010 at 2:51:32 PM GMT
I hope the elevator's a slow one!

10/6/2010 at 6:57:40 PM GMT
elevator speech
Folklorists seek out people who do things that are part of their culture--like quilters, folk dancers, home cooks, and people in different trades. We take pictures or interview those people, and we produce festivals, write articles, or make movies about them. We really do lots of things--but all having to do with people's culture and traditions.

10/26/2010 at 7:29:57 PM GMT
This is a good question. Hmmm...this prompts me to compose and hone a reply, which would be useful, since I usually wing it and often feel I haven't given a sufficient understanding of what we do. 

[ponders]

Back later with an actual response

Home
|Career Center
|Open Forums
|Online Store
|Renew
|Member Search
|Donate
|FAQ

American Folklore Society
Mershon Center, The Ohio State University, 1501 Neil Avenue, Columbus OH 43201-2602 USA
614/292-4715; fax: 614/292-2199; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal