Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
Teaching
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Following the WI Teachers of Local Culture's Tour: The State of Superior 0 R. Olson Wisconsin Teachers of Local Culture--a partnership among the Wisconsin Arts Board, the Center for the Study of Upper Midwestern Cultures and the Chippewa Valley Museum--has just begun its 7th annual cultural tour for teachers. Twenty nine teachers and staff began this year's tour at a former CCC camp in Drummond, Wisconsin. This year our theme is "the State of Superior" and we will be visiting several Ojibwe reservations; learning more about mining, both past and possibly future; cruising in the Duluth harbor and playing a mobile game featuring the St. Louis Estuary; talking with a labor organizer; spending time with a logger in the Chequamegon National Forest and with Finns at Little Finland; eating pasties from Joe's Pasties in Ironwood, Michigan--and so much more. We will be on the road from July 29 through August 3. If you would like to follow the journey on our blog, just click on http://wtlcteacherstour.wordpress.com/the-state-of-superior-2012/
by R. Olson
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Seasonal (A Novel) by Betty Belanus Now Available Electronicaly 0 B. Belanus To Those Teaching Undergraduate and Graduate Folklore and Related Topics,My novel, Seasonal, which has been used in a number of folklore and related classrooms, is now available via Smashwords in many electronic formats making it easier than ever to assign to your students!  The price is right too at a mere $2.99. Follow the link from my web site, www.roundbarnpress.com .  The book is also available in hard copy from the site.  
by B. Belanus
Monday, July 16, 2012
Help using the OpenFolklore Teaching Resources Collection 0 L. Cashman See https://afsnet.site-ym.com/?OFTeachingResources for help finding syllabi in OpenFolklore.
by L. Cashman
Wednesday, May 02, 2012
Folklore Teaching Resources Collection available via OpenFolklore 1 L. Cashman We've added instructions for using the Teaching Resources Collection: see AFS Teaching Resources Bank at https://afsnet.site-ym.com/?OFTeachingResources. I'll try to add links to FAQ, our OpenFolklore under About AFS/Publications, and the Folklore and Education Section pages.
by L. Cashman
Wednesday, May 02, 2012
Teaching materials available from the TAC Folklife Program 0 L. Cashman The Tennessee Arts Commission (TAC) Folklife Program offers teachers guides that are downloadable at http://www.tn.gov/arts/folklife_teaching_materials.htm:"The Fisk Jubilee Singers:  Singing Our Song": A joint project of the TAC Arts Access and Folklife Programs, this publication contains lesson plans about African-American spirituals and the Tennessee vocal group that made them famous.  It was produced as part of the TAC’s 2007 American Masterpieces grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.  The lesson plans were part of a teacher’s kit including an enhanced audio CD and specially-edited DVD, and lessons make use of content from these AV materials.  Some free copies of the full teacher’s kit are still available to Tennessee schools and teachers.  Other users of the lesson plans will be able to separately acquire a copy of the CD, The Fisk Jubilee Singers: In Bright Mansions (Curb D2-78762) for their use in the classroom."Tradition: Tennessee Lives and Legacies Teachers Guide," by Dana Everts-Boehm, was designed to accompany the exhibition of the same name touring Tennessee venues from 2010-2013.  Designed in two sections for grades 3-6 and 12, the guide prepares students to visit the exhibition through learning about a selection of six artists featured in the book and exhibit.  The lessons, accompanied by Tennessee state curriculum standards, are brought home to the students through a follow-up family heritage project.  Dean Dixon’s photographs are included in a DVD featuring images of all twenty-five artists and groups in the book and exhibition.
by L. Cashman
Tuesday, May 01, 2012
AFS Forum: Dialoguing 6 L. Daneliuk Hi all, During our forum I mentioned that this semester I am trying a new step in the project process- a group mini-fieldwork project around Homecoming traditions. I wanted to report back quickly that this went pretty well. There was some interesting collection.  Most importantly though, in terms of my goals, the students got their feet wet in fieldwork. They wrote response papers and most of them had interesting thoughts about the small amount of fieldwork they did, and I am hopeful that this will benefit them as they work on their final projects.  I am attaching the mini-fieldwork assignment, and I am pasting a link to a very short video that one of the groups did. I am pretty impressed with it (and I can take no credit for the video work)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDprrc_SJWY   I hope everyone is having a good semester. Ann
by A. Ferrell
Sunday, November 13, 2011

Home
|Career Center
|Open Forums
|Online Store
|Renew
|Member Search
|Donate
|FAQ

American Folklore Society
Mershon Center, The Ohio State University, 1501 Neil Avenue, Columbus OH 43201-2602 USA
614/292-4715; fax: 614/292-2199; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal/Privacy