Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
General
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Witzel book recently reviewed 0 L. Haring JFRR Reviews recently reviewed an apparently dreadful book about mythology by one Witzel. The reviewer expressed surprise that this person could be at Harvard and that Oxford UP had published it. I write only to repeat the same surprise: what has become of peer reviewing, in an era when copy-editing is outsourced to who knows where? Oxford?! Really?! Maybe we should all start limiting ourselves to online publishing.
by L. Haring
Friday, December 06, 2013
crafts 0 N. Kononenko I have a question.  Has anyone written about the reuse of a craft object for other purposes?  What I am dealing with is embroidery, on the front of a shirt, for example, which, when the shirt becomes worn, is cut off and used as the front of another shirt.  Sometimes it is used elsewhere in the garment or not in a garment at all but, say, for a comb case.  I'm dealing with Ukrainian material and I know that Ukrainian costume books and embroidery books do not write about this.  They deal with the regional characteristics of embroidery, both motifs and embroidery techniques.  New ones have New Age-y discussions of symbols.  But nothing about how a piece of embroidery "lives" in the tradition.  Can anyone help?  We were thinking that someone writing about quilts might have said somthing about this, but I'm not up on the literature about quilts. 
by N. Kononenko
Friday, January 21, 2011

Home
|Career Center
|Open Forums
|Online Store
|Renew
|Member Search
|Donate
|FAQ

American Folklore Society
Mershon Center, The Ohio State University, 1501 Neil Avenue, Columbus OH 43201-2602 USA
614/292-4715; fax: 614/292-2199; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal/Privacy