Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
Looking for two presenters for a panel on Cultural Sustainability, AFS 2012
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

1/11/2012 at 12:16:09 AM GMT
Looking for two presenters for a panel on Cultural Sustainability, AFS 2012
We’re interested in putting together a panel that will center around cultural sustainability (with cultural sustainability being broadly interpreted) for AFS 2012.

Here is what we would like our papers to focus on…

Suzanne Barber, PhD student, Indiana University

I will focus on the discourse surrounding cultural sustainability of animal husbandry practices, paying particular attention to biopolitics and narrative construction as it pertains to dog fancy, emerging sporting venues, and traditional dog/human working relations.

Matthew Hale, PhD student, Indiana University

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction literature that centers around alternate, counterfactual, or speculative histories, in essence, re-imaginings of the past that explore  what might have happened had history went differently. I will argue that steampunks engage with the past and history as a means to (1) critique the past itself, (2) to critique a troubled and unsustainable present in relation to an equally difficult and unsustainable past, and (3) to imagine and carve into existence a more aesthetic, thoughtful, sustainable, and human future. Furthermore, I will suggest that steampunk is a marker of atemporality, a cultural movement that is a reaction to and against modernism, postmodernism, and hypermodernism, that refines progress and critique’s the unsustainable nature of late consumer capitalism.   

Please contact us at matthew.hale0009@gmail.com if you’re interested.

Home
|Career Center
|Open Forums
|Online Store
|Renew
|Member Search
|Donate
|FAQ

American Folklore Society
Mershon Center, The Ohio State University, 1501 Neil Avenue, Columbus OH 43201-2602 USA
614/292-4715; fax: 614/292-2199; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal