Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
From the Cultural Sustainability Discussion Group.....
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/4/2010 at 3:41:25 PM GMT
From the Cultural Sustainability Discussion Group.....
I'll re-post selected items from the discussion group here. Let me know if you'd like to join that group.

11/4/2010 at 3:43:56 PM GMT
Jeff Titon on "natural history"
Recently Updated Profiles
Patricia Atkinson, Lorraine W. Cashman, Amy Kitchener, Kristen A. Bradley-Shurtz, Joey Brackner, Molly M. Bolick, Nelda R. Ault, Mike Luster, Jeff T. Titon, John Wolford

Write on the wall...

Jeff T. Titon wrote on the Discussion Group: Cultural Sustainability wall: In my reading since returning from Nashville and giving my AFS paper on "Nature's economy" as a way of reconciling sustainability discourses coming from ecology and economics, I've been exploring the cultures of natural history (that is, the history of the field we call natural history). Prior to this reading I'd assumed Foucault's idea of a great epistemological shift ca. 1800 in Western thought about Nature was correct, but now I'm questioning it. (Foucault writes about natural history and this shift in THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF KNOWLEDGE.) I will be posting some of this to my blog on music and sustainability. Incidentally, the "curiosi" of 17th c. Europe who were interested in unusual objects of natural history were also interested in curious "popular antiquities" (i.e., folklore).
Posted 11/2/2010

Home
|Career Center
|Open Forums
|Online Store
|Renew
|Member Search
|Donate
|FAQ

American Folklore Society
Mershon Center, The Ohio State University, 1501 Neil Avenue, Columbus OH 43201-2602 USA
614/292-4715; fax: 614/292-2199; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal