Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
The Folklore of Folklorists
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

10/6/2010 at 10:02:56 PM GMT
The Folklore of Folklorists
Hey, everyone!
I just wanted to spread the word that Libby Tucker and I are planning to begin work on a project about the folklore of folklorists in the coming months and would love to hear from the AFS community!  Of course, the collected data in such a project is of great interest, so if you have any stories, anecdotes, jokes-- heck, just about anything folkloric--about your fellow folklorists, the discipline itself, your own research's quirks; your own experiences, opinions, and/or beliefs (interpret however broadly or narrowly as you would like); pedagogical tips or narratives from university teaching/ service experiences; "student horror stories"; or suggestions for approaches to such collected material and their interpretation, feel free to drop me an email (tjblank@psu.edu) or post to this discussion forum.  Indeed, any and all input is greatly appreciated, and I'd whole-heartedly endorse posting and responding here in an effort to create a stimulating dialogue here in the AFS forums as well!

Thanks for your time and input!

All the best,
Trevor

10/8/2010 at 7:51:30 PM GMT
Hi Trevor,

You will no doubt be aware of Metafolkloristica, the 1989 anthology of folklorists' humor bu Franz Kinder and Boaz the Clown.

Cheers,
Moira

10/27/2010 at 3:46:49 PM GMT
Is this the same project that AFS is launching collecting interviews of folklorists or a different project?  I did interviews of folklorists who bridge the "imaginary divide" between academics and public sector work back when the AFS Newsletter was in hard copy.  I was planning to forward everything I could find of these interviews (tapes, transcripts, etc.) to the AFS project.  I did about 6 people I think altogether, including Kay Turner, Frank Proschan, Troyd Geist, Steve Siporin and some others I can't remember off-hand.  Not sure if there is an archive of old AFS newsletters somewhere but you could check out the edited interviews there; this would have been mid-late 1990s.

Thanks, Betty Belanus
BelanusB@si.edu

10/27/2010 at 3:50:34 PM GMT
The AFS oral history project that Betty is asking about is a different, though related, project from that Trevor Blank and Libby Tucker are undertaking.  Find out about the AFS oral history project here.  Tim Lloyd

11/2/2010 at 6:53:40 AM GMT
Yep!  Tim beat me to it, but I'd be delighted to hear any stories of your own or your colleagues :)

11/24/2010 at 3:37:46 AM GMT
exam parodies
I have folklore exam parodies from IU I can share with you.

Home
|Career Center
|Open Forums
|Online Store
|Renew
|Member Search
|Donate
|FAQ

American Folklore Society
Mershon Center, The Ohio State University, 1501 Neil Avenue, Columbus OH 43201-2602 USA
614/292-4715; fax: 614/292-2199; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal