Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join AFS
AFS Member Hanna Griff-Slevin Featured in New York Jewish Week Article
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/9/2017 at 7:31:41 PM GMT
AFS Member Hanna Griff-Slevin Featured in New York Jewish Week Article

“The Jewish people invented the idea of diaspora and have experienced nearly 2,000 years of wandering the globe, refugees and immigrants receiving a dubious welcome almost everywhere. Of course, one result of that history is that the Jews have left behind a lot of literal and metaphorical baggage. The former, mere material goods, can be replaced, but the latter — a rich tapestry of languages, literature, music and other arts — is harder to recover.

Hanna Griff-Slevin, the director of cultural programs for the Museum at Eldridge Street, admits that it is the music that speaks to her most vividly, which is probably why for the past five years the museum has been showcasing its wonderfully creative “Lost and Found Music” series.

“I remember my grandfather singing zmirot and nigunim when I was a child,” she says. “And as a folklorist I fell in love with the old Yiddish music.”

Inevitably, when she came to Eldridge Street, music was in the forefront of her thoughts — especially when she realized that the building’s main performance space was an acoustical gem. “The sound is gorgeous,” she says rapturously.

So is the space itself, a 125-year-old synagogue that has undergone extensive restoration in the past decade with impressive results.”

To read the full article, visit http://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com/next-gen-players-old-world-music/

Career Center
| Open Forums
| Online Store
| Renew
| Member Search
| Donate
| FAQ

American Folklore SocietySister Society: SIEF
Classroom-Office Building, Indiana University, 800 East Third Street, Bloomington IN 47405 USA
812/856-2379; fax: 812/856-2483; www.afsnet.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal