This section brings together students to exchange ideas, to create a community of young folklorists, and to act as a unified voice for future professionals within AFS. For more information, please contact section convener Dominick Tartaglia.
Click here to join this American Folklore Society interest-group section. Click here to pay section dues.
The Kara Nicole Bayless Best Graduate Student Paper Prize
The recipient of the Kara Nicole Bayless Best Graduate Student Paper Prize Competition will receive $100 and a one-year membership to AFS.
(1) This paper competition is open for graduate students only. Students must be currently enrolled within a graduate level degree program prior to receiving their PhD. Submissions by PhD candidates are accepted.
(2) Graduate students interested in submitting for the paper competition must be current members of the graduate student section of AFS.
(3) Submitted works must be written after January 2012. Published or unpublished alike works are accepted.
(4) The theme for the paper competition will rotate each year to correspond with the theme of the current AFS annual meeting theme. The theme for the 2012 competition, for example, will be "The Continuity and Creativity of Culture." The paper competition theme will always be synchronous with the current theme of the AFS annual meeting.
(5) Papers should be of scholarly content and style, incorporating thoughtful research and analysis.
(6) Members of the selection committee, graduate student conveners (senior or junior) are ineligible to submit.
(7) Electronic submissions ONLY. Sent the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
(8) Send a separate document as either a Microsoft Word document (.doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf) or Portable Document Format (PDF) including your contact information (your full name, address, phone number, email address, school and graduate program, year in school, and the title of the paper submitted).
(9) Electronic submissions should be sent either as a Microsoft Word document (.doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf) or Portable Document Format (PDF). Include no identifying information (other than the title) on the paper itself. Include a separate document with above mentioned contact information.
Submissions must be received by September 25th.
Send submissions, questions or comments, to the section conveners.