The standard paper sessions consist of a set of papers pre-organized on a given
topic to be presented in a two-hour session. There can be no more than four 20-minute papers in a single panel session. If a
session includes a discussant, there can be no more than three papers in
that session. Each paper presentation will be allotted 30 minutes on the
program, including time for a brief introduction, for the presentation,
and for questions and discussion, which will follow immediately after
This year, we welcome pre-organized panels that consist of more than four shorter presentations. However, some special arrangements may have to be made to accommodate variations on the standard panel. Please contact Lorraine Walsh Cashman at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss particulars.
|Participants in pre-organized sessions
Chairs of pre-organized sessions
- Submit your short (100-word) abstract, affiliation and preferred email address to the chair of your proposed session well in advance of the March 31 deadline.
- Register for the meeting by March 31.
- Collect and submit all required material (see below) by March 31.
- Encourage panel participants to register. Chairs register only themselves when submitting the proposal; they should not register the panel participants.
Contact panel participants to determine their
audio and scheduling needs. If any one participant needs speakers, you must request AV on the
Click here to see a pdf of the proposal form. This is NOT a functioning form, but it offers a preview of the form you will complete.
Materials required for the online registration and proposal process:
keywords approved by the AFS Ethnographic Thesaurus
that describe the content of your session as a whole. See Using
Keywords in Annual Meeting Proposals before you register and submit your
- a long (500-word) abstract for the session as a whole, which will be sent out for blind review
- a short (100-word) abstract for the session as a whole, which will appear in the program book if the proposal is accepted. Use AFS style.
- For each paper:
- a short (100-word) abstract which will appear in the annual meeting program book if the proposal is accepted. Use AFS style.
- The presenter's name, affiliation and email address
- Visa or Mastercard for the chair's meeting registration
- You must submit your proposal no later than March 31.
- AFS provides a projector and screen in all meeting rooms. If you require speakers, you must request them on the proposal form. AFS does not provide other equipment, such as laptops or DVD players.
- Members: You must sign in to register and submit your proposal. Please make sure in advance that you can successfully sign in. If not, allow time to contact AFS.
- Non-members: You may enjoy a significant discount on your Annual Meeting registration, as well as other member benefits, if you join AFS. However, the site will not recognize your membership until it has been manually approved by AFS staff; you will receive an email notification when your membership is activated. Please allow for a few business days in between joining AFS and submitting your registration/proposal. Join AFS by March 27 if you want to receive the member rate.