We will accept proposals for individual papers on any focused topic that relates to folklore. The program committee will group accepted papers into panels. Individual papers are allotted 30 minutes: 20 minutes to read the paper, and 10 minutes for discussion.
Click here to see a pdf of the proposal form. This is NOT a functioning form, but it offers a preview of the form you will complete.
Materials required for the online registration and proposal process:
keywords approved by the AFS Ethnographic Thesaurus
that describe the content of your presentation. See Using
Keywords in Annual Meeting Proposals before you register and submit your
- a long (500-word) abstract which will be sent out for blind review
- a short (100-word) abstract which will appear in the annual meeting program book if the proposal is accepted. Use AFS style.
- Visa or Mastercard
- You must submit your proposal no later than March 31.
- AFS provides a projector and screen in all meeting rooms. If you require speakers, you must request them on the proposal form. AFS does not provide other equipment, such as laptops or DVD players.
- Members: You must sign in to register and submit your proposal. Please make sure in advance that you can successfully sign in. If not, allow time to contact AFS.
- Non-members: You may enjoy a significant discount on your Annual Meeting registration, as well as other member benefits, if you join AFS. However, the site will not recognize your membership until it has been manually approved by AFS staff; you will receive an email notification when your membership is activated. Please allow for a few business days in between joining AFS and submitting your registration/proposal. Join AFS by March 27 if you want to receive the member rate.